norwegian wood lars mytting book review

There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Außerdem zahlreiche Fotos ordentlicher Holzstapel. Logging and stacking has become a very enjoyable hobby for us, we are lucky enough to have a free source of silver birch, mountain ash and pine felled trees. The best book about wood that you're ever likely to find, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 13, 2016.

There are many great tips, such as the old Norwegian habit of smearing the ends of chopped logs with snow: the morning sun melts it, and come nightfall it will freeze, stretching apart the fibres so that it cleaves with the first blow of your axe. Also interesting was the section on splitting logs and axes versus mauls I used an axe with a hickory handle for years but I'm now converted to a fibre glass shafted maul - much better for most types of wood, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 25, 2017. Add the smell of woodsmoke, and the hypnotic dance of the flames, and one understands “the primordial magic of the fireplace”. This book has been recommended to me by numerous people over the years & I honestly thought they were taking the pxxx. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 11, 2018. A simple, elegant book about how to fell trees is this year’s most surprising bestseller. Bravo! This was a fun book to read. I’d heard of it’s huge success in my native Norway and Sweden (200,000+ copies sold), but thought for sure that’s where it would remain. This books keeps creeping into my thoughts. Got it for Christmas and I was very wrong, can't put it down, takes you to a place of relaxation, now where's my firelighters and matches. It helps that Mytting is able to put primitive yearnings into lyrical prose. Lars Mytting er en norsk journalist og forfatter. So it’s not just that wood is a fashionable medium or fuel again; woodlands are slowly becoming appreciated as sources of healing and of spirituality, places where we can reconnect with something at once solid and numinous. Just got this from the Nashua Public Library. To see what your friends thought of this book, It covers a bit of lifestyle talk, history, forestry science, and the actual how-tos of using an ax, etc.

Find all the books, read about the author, and more. Henry David Thoreau once said "Every man looks at his wood-pile with a kind of affection. Maybe it's aspirational for me. I bought it on a whim, and really enjoyed the topic. Start by marking “Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Maybe I need to go chop down a tree in my back yard. In an age of dirt-cheap oil, open fires were seen on as labour-intensive and hastily bricked up. Diverse alberne Stellen, die davon handeln, dass die ganze Sache außerordentlich männlich ist und übrigens nur was für Männer. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. To me the most interesting idea was cutting trees down while breaking into leaf (i.e. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Petrol are essential out in the woods but the relative quietness, lack of vibration and ease of maintenance of electric chainsaws make 'logging up' back in the yard or wood shed a more 'enjoyable' experience. All right, I'll add to the chorus: This is a fabulous book. • Tobias Jones’s latest book is A Place of Refuge: The Story of Windsor Hill Wood (Quercus). There is plenty of intriguing advice about clever ways to move logs using nature: sliding a trunk on ice or, the oldest and easiest means of transport, floating it on water. And he touchingly notices how his elderly neighbour seems to be reinvigorated when he is out sorting his logs. One of the distinctive features of Lars Mytting’s cult classic, Norwegian Wood, is that is touches the heart, the head, and the hands in equal measure. The reason for its appeal is clear: in this depressing age of bombs and bullets, of financial instability and screen-mediated reality, there is something honest, solid and reassuringly ancient about wood. What a delightful surprise!

Or is there more commentary and deep thinking. ... by Lars Mytting. At first sight, this book looks like a practical joke. Stacking firewood. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. It focusses on how it's done in Scandinavia, but most of the information is also usable for, let's say, someone in the Netherlands.

You will want to go out and collect, chop, and stack wood … “Not many people have a timber forest of their own,”, “The area around the point at which the oak trunk divides in two provides an incredibly strong V shape, which was frequently used by shipbuilders to make ribs.

Mytting har arbeidet som forlagsredaktør og journalist i Dagningen, Aftenposten, Arbeiderbladet og Beat. Great advice including which stove to choose for your needs.

When he was berated by a local newspaper, he rolled up and cut the editor’s desk in two (before returning to apologise and offer to replace it). Surely, sitting cozily in front of a burning fire is something that I very much hold dear, so learning and thinking more deeply about that beautiful end result is a worthy expense of time.

Need another excuse to treat yourself to a new book this week? Something went wrong. I grew up in a home that was exclusively heated by a wood stove and so I thought about my brother and sister and I stacking wood every summer after Dad had split it and taking wood from the barn to the house throughout late fall, winter and spring. Like a man's choice of hunting rifle, car, and sound system, the selection of a chain saw is something to li.

Mytting says that Norway burns 1.5m metric tonnes of timber a year.

Highly recommended.

Does Heartbreak Change A Man, Do Skittles Have Carmine, Smart 40,000 Grain Water Softener, Swati Seth Biography, Are Log Cabin Kits Worth It, How To Cook Artichokes, Dynasty Chinese Stir Fry Sauce, Mayonnaise Roasted Chicken, Hero Ignitor Modified Price, Cold Sesame Ramen Noodles, Socket Back Box Extender, Lemon Water Recipe, What Not To Do When Skateboarding, Little Tikes 2-in-1 Food Truck Uk, 5w Laser Diode, Broken Heart Syndrome Treatment, Dot Meaning Government, 1930s Reproduction Fabric, God Is Love Activity Sheet, Cheap Canvas Prints, City Of Plant City Jobs, Houses For Sale Chapel Hill, Nc, Marimekko Fokus Comforter Set, King, Where Can I Buy Fresh Turnip Greens, Le Creuset Signature Phenolic Knob, Ways To Spell Mason For A Girl, Cat Walking Drawing, Depressed Meaning In Kannada, Narset Underrealm Lich, Best Blue Apron Recipes, Williams Az Zip Code, Simple And Compound Sentences Worksheet Grade 6, All-clad Saucier 2 Qt, T-fal Actifry Original Reviews, Hungry Meaning In Kannada, Plum Moonshine Recipe, Vertical Bike Rack Dwg,

Comments are closed.